2.28.2013

End of the Month Music Bitchfest - February 2013

This will probably be the best month of the year for me (musically).
New albums from three of my top five bands* and the announcement of the eventual resurgence of one of my top five bands. Gosh, that phrasing sounded a bit roundabout, eh?
Who could I possibly be talking about?

Nine Inch Nails

















A week before the release of How to destroy angel's debut LP (his side project fronted by his wife), Reznor dropped the news that Nine Inch Nails will return to touring in the summer of 2013, all the way into 2014, with an extensive U.S. arena tour.**
The band line up has also been announced with Eric Avery of Jane's Addiction on bass, Adrian Belew from King Crimson and fucking every other great band ever on guitar, Ilan Rubin on drums, Alessandro Cortini on keyboards and Joshua Eustic on...intrigue. This guy is one half of Telefon Tel Aviv and I am most intrigued by his presence in this line up.
Also by the fact that NIN has never had a six-man line up...the mathematic potential is...arousing...

Just today (2/28), Reznor launched the official Instagram and Tumblr sites for Nine Inch Nails, so now, along with the Nine Inch Nails Twitter and Facebook, not to mention nin.com, there are five different ways for Trent Reznor to tease/taunt/mindfuck his dedicated fans.
Shit.

Reznor has promised the Nine Inch Nails "best of" album***, including two brand new Nine Inch Nails songs in early 2014 and then a new Nine Inch Nails album...ha a-ha...ha.

*sigh*

I'm just going to go and grease up my asshole now...
They Might Be Giants
GROW THE NANOBOTS UP!!!

Beck
Okay, check this out.
Beck's reimagining of David Bowie's "Sound + Vision".
Pretty amazing, right?
Right.
You ready?
Read the sixth word in the title of this post...
Okay...now...why the fuck would you put all that shit together for ONE FUCKING SONG?!
You fucking cockteasing FUCK!

Moving on.
Cake
Who?

Eels
A kick ass new album?
Check.
An extensive world tour?
Check.
I don't need anything else from E.
But...what's that you say? One wish? Anything I want?
Well, if you insist...
Hm...if I had to ask for something on top of all this other stuff...you know...now that you mention it...those live tracks on the second disc of Wonderful, Glorious were great, but they were such a tiny taste and those were some pretty great shows, especially the 2011 tour...so...I guess...if I absolutely must ask for more...I suppose I'd dig...a live album?
WELL, FUCK YOU, PAUL! YOU'RE GONNA GET A FUCKING DOUBLE LIVE ALBUM! IT'S CALLED TREMENDOUS DYNAMITE, AND IT'S FORTY FUCKING TRACKS LOOONG!

E...your free pass just got extended.
Go with God.

In other news...

Earlier this month, I had a brief and torrid affair with the music of Childish Gambino AKA Donald Glover of Community...and then I stopped. Party because of all the new stuff coming out this month and partly because some of his albums are a lot less interesting than others. When he's on, he is ON. I Am Just A Rapper parts 1 and 2 go up there as my favorites.
Atoms For Peace released their album, AMOK, and, duh, it's pretty fucking amazing.
I wrote a review.
Read it.
Stupid.

David Bowie has a second song/video from his upcoming The Next Day out, this one directed by Floria Sigismondi and starring Tilda Swinton.
And it's fucking creepy.

And, finally, I'm nearing the end of my journey through the intestines of Coil.
Can't say I'm not looking forward to it...
ANS took a LOT out of me.
I'll say this, add one letter and you get what I would have rather eaten about half way through track three with two plus hours to go.
Ugh.
But, aside from that and a few choice moments, the overall process has been amazing and enlightening.
And I don't recommend any of you do it.
Ever.





* How to destroy angels is enough like Nine Inch Nails that I'm just going to got with it. I invite you to do the same.
Or to go fuck yourself.
Whichever.

** Personally, I'd be a little pissed off with the timing if I was his wife ("Seriously, Trent, you couldn't have waited two more weeks?!"), but, then again, there certainly wouldn't be any How to destroy angels without Trent Reznor so...yeah.
But still, way to piss on that parade.

*** Some of you**** will notice that the font used in the 2013 picture and on the new site is from The Downward Spiral and that the font used on their tour page is that of The Fragile.

**** None of you.

No comments: